For about 30 years if you wanted to buy a mid-size sedan, your best choices were a Nissan or a Toyota. That hasn’t changed much except that the 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5 S Hybrid has upped the stakes a little bit.
Gone are the days when outclassing the competition meant adding cruise control and power windows. These days, you go hybrid or you don’t go at all. Well, Nissan went hybrid and then added whipped cream and a cherry on top.
The engine block of the Altima 2.5 S is a 2.5-liter 16-valve I4 with DOHC. You get a battery saver, an engine cover, front wheel drive, push-button ignition, Xtronic continuously variable transmission with manual shift mode, and a whole lot more. The safety features will make you turn your head twice and say, “Whaaa?” Here’s a quick look:
- 2.5 mph energy absorbing front and rear bumpers
- 3-point seat belts in all positions
- Anti-lock braking
- Electronic brake-force distribution
- Energy absorbing steering column
- Front and rear crumple zones
- State-of-the-art airbag system
- Vehicle dynamic control
- And a ton more